Ice climbing at Eugenia Falls

Ice climbing at Eugenia Falls
Eugenia Falls

Tuesday 24 April 2012

Training

Due to the fact that the weather is terrible right now (snowed this morning) I decided to do a workout on my rollers in the basement. I use this trainer early in the season usually and it is a great tool to help improve your riding. I have been using it primarily to increase my pedalling cadence while riding which is supposed to lead to better efficiency. I am fairly proficient on it now and haven't crashed this year. Yes, you read that correctly, crash. Last year shortly after getting the trainer I tried to ride while checking my heart rate on my watch. That was a bad idea which led to me having my only road bike crash since as long as I can remember.......in my basement. I am still not sure what happened but I ended up on the floor with a sore hip. Lesson learned.
Today I decided to do a 25 km roller ride. It took about 10 minutes for the sweat to start beading on my forehead and by the time I was done I was soaked in sweat. I figure I was fully warmed up after 20 minutes. I used both the bike computer and my heart rate monitor and here are the numbers.
Average speed - 41.42 kph
Time - 36 minutes, 24 seconds
Distance - 25.11 km
Average cadence - 92 rpm
Average heart rate - 153 bpm
Peak heart rate - 172 bpm
Calories burned - 624
                                                                                                                                                                 I must admit those numbers are my best so far. The trainer does help to stay in shape when the weather sucks. The one above I bought online from Mountain Co-op for around $200. It's simple to set up and an excellent way to stay in shape and keep some pounds off during the bad weather months.





No comments:

Post a Comment