Ice climbing at Eugenia Falls

Ice climbing at Eugenia Falls
Eugenia Falls

Thursday 19 April 2012

Beaver Creek in retrospect

I have now had a week and some to reflect on the ski trip and although the snow conditions were far from primo we had some real fun days in what can only be described as brilliant sunshine. We learned not to go out skiing until around 10 AM and when we did head onto the hill we went where the sun had been shining for a while.
The best run of the week had to be the Birds of Prey downhill run which has got to be one of the scariest downhills on the circuit. It's steeeeep in some sections and it boggles my mind that they hit the 2 jumps on the course at around 70 miles an hour. The run wasn't opened up until about 1 PM every day because it had been fertilized which caused it to turn to ice therefore rendering it unskiable until it had softened up a bit in the afternoon. There were even warning signs recommending that experts only on tuned equipment  should be skiing down that run. Fortunately they missed me snowplowing my way over there. There were also some bumps near the bottom of the run which were fun but rocky leaving the bases of my skis looking in very rough shape. The edges have burrs which would cut your finger and there is a rather large gouge out of one ski.
The staff of Kenmark were again helpful and fun to be around and the group as a whole were a great bunch. I'll be taking my skis to Kenmark in the fall  to get some much needed repairs done. Overall a great trip.


Photoshopped pic, my head, someone elses body
It's now back on the bike which is lucky for me because if I was as lousy a biker as I am a skier I would still be using traing wheels and for the life of me I can't remember where I put the damn things.

No comments:

Post a Comment