Ice climbing at Eugenia Falls

Ice climbing at Eugenia Falls
Eugenia Falls

Sunday 8 April 2012

Back home

I made it home from Beaver Creek at 1:00 AM this morning and received the greatest greeting ever from Guinness and without a doubt I was just as happy to see him. The trip home took 13 hours. That's a bus ride, a flight, another bus ride, a car ride to Cam and Lori's and finally another car ride in the Vibe to home sweet home. It's great to be home again.
Not much snow but the sun was shining every day
The week of skiing was great although very hard on my skis. The edges now have many burrs, there is a dandy gouge in the base of one ski and there are some repairs now badly required. We all tried to miss the rocks but on some of the steeper and more challenging runs there was no way of seeing them. I did a total of 136,000 vertical feet of skiing with Thursday being my biggest day vertically speaking with 29,600 feet of downhill skiing. No wonder my knee is stiff and sore. For 2 of the 6 days we skied at Vail but it just wasn't the same as last year because the back bowls were closed which cut the skiable terrain in half at least. Apres ski was always fun at the end of the day and I will never tire of the complimentary champagne served at the Chophouse at 3:30 every day. I skied the Birds of Prey downhill at Beaver Creek as well nonstop. It gave me a new respect for the real down hill skiers who fly down there at breakneck speeds. Some of the steeps are steeeeep and the jumps are unbelievable.
3:30 is champagne time
All in all it was a great vacation. Thanks to the folks at Kenmark for doing a fine job organizing everything.

1 comment: