Ice climbing at Eugenia Falls

Ice climbing at Eugenia Falls
Eugenia Falls

Tuesday 24 April 2012

Pain

First of all a weather report. It's April 24 and it is snowing. Yes I said snowing. I suppose there will be no bike ride today.
Now for todays subject, pain. Throughout my 56 years I have been fortunate that I have only had to experience pain in small doses, an injury here and there and some medical procedures that have caused extreme pain for a short period of time. I have had tax pain as well but that's another thing completely.
For the last 4-5 days I have experienced pain like never before. About 15 years ago I was eating some venison (don't ever believe the hunter who says he has a great way to cook venison because venison is a dreadful meat) and I cracked my one of my molars on a bone shard. On my way to Vail 3 years ago a piece broke off of the tooth and the filling fell out. There was no pain so I ignored it until 5 days ago when the pain set in. It came in waves at first, unbelievable pain for 15-20 minutes and then easing off to an acceptable level. I bought some Tylenol 1's and they helped a bit but when the real bouts of pain started it seemed the Tylenol was overmatched.
Three days ago the pain changed to a more constant gnawing. It was always there, sometimes not too bad but at its' peak it was debilitating. I tried many things to get past these peaks but nothing seemed to help, not lying still, not walking around, not meditating, nothing. Yes I said meditating, I was desperate.
Yesterday I was finally able to see a dentist but not until 4 PM. Never before have I experienced pain like I had yesterday. It was constantly high with peaks that numbed my cheek, made my bottom teeth hurt and my temple ache. I was unable to function.
I am now on antibiotics, Tylenol 3's and Advil and I must say I feel human again. In two days I have to go back and the tooth will be pulled and judging by the dentist's description of the forthcoming extraction it's going to take some work. I am not looking forward to it but the tooth has to go.
Suffering through those 3-4 days of pain have made me understand a little bit how people with constant pain for years on end decide to end it all. The pain eats away at you, erodes your inner strength and ability to function on the lowest of levels. I am for the most part a happy guy in an angry kind of way but the pain took away any capability of feeling happy. Hell, I was having a tough time being angry. That's saying something.

1 comment:

  1. Happy guy in an angry kind of way. Oh that is classic!! Love it. But get that tooth out. Toothache sucks big time and you should have gone sooner.

    ReplyDelete