Ice climbing at Eugenia Falls

Ice climbing at Eugenia Falls
Eugenia Falls

Saturday 20 August 2011

56 and counting

As hard as it is to believe I am now 56 years old and like most other people my age I don't feel 56. I still think the same as I did 30 years ago. Other than my thinning grey hair, sore neck, my bad foot, carpal tunnel wrist, the wonky knee, my failing eyes and the necessity for high fibre foods I am physically the same. It's true that I grunt now trying to get out of the sports car and I have to plan my entry into it. It's also true that I know exactly where the ice bag and heating pad are at all times. I have foot beds in all my shoes and I do actually try to take better care of myself now. I guess the important thing is like many of my friends I still try to get out and exercise on a regular basis. I have no doubt that staying fit has greatly improved my quality of life.
The thing is I simply can't do what I could years ago but the thing is, I still think I can. The day has not yet arrived when I say I can't. It's the same with just about everyone I know, they do everything with the thought: I can. Doubt does not enter into it. We are older but we still want to compete and challenge ourselves every day and that is a beautiful thing. Now if only I could remember where the hell my car keys are so I could drive to the store for some painkillers. And while I'm on the topic of remembering, very few people did.

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday! I didn't realise you were the day after Em's. She's only 47 years behind you. And she did her first off road biking today. Bless! I did a brief blog but truthfully I left off the bit about her wiping out coming back down the track and John walking her bike out while she sobbed her little heart out. Some things are best left out of the blog! Hope you had a great day.

    ReplyDelete