Ice climbing at Eugenia Falls

Ice climbing at Eugenia Falls
Eugenia Falls

Thursday 18 August 2011

Pain in the neck

It's three days since the finger in the spokes incident and believe me, it's still very sore and very tender. I was worried about infection as well but I believe the blood erupted out of my finger so fast that bacteria just wasn't fast enough to get in. It seems to be healing well and is not what bothers me the most right now.
The most bothersome problem I have right now is a very sore neck. I started the season on my new Madone in a very racy position with the stem angled down and this was a mistake. After only one hour my neck would start to hurt and it was difficult to ride after two hours. I finally flipped the stem over so it was on a rise but the damage had already been done. My neck is unbelievably stiff now. I have been to a chiropractor eight times but there doesn't seem to be any improvement so I am now going to try to alleviate some of the pain and stiffness with my own remedy; Tylenol back pain tablets, tennis ball massages and hot and cold treatments. It may take a while but I really do believe my neck and upper back will improve in time.
I will take a week off the bike as well to get a decent start on the therapy. If all goes well and my neck improves I may enter in the 100 mile Centurion ride and if not the 50 mile ride will probably be more than enough. I never thought that my neck would be a problem but apparently many road bikers have neck pain and stiffness at one time or another. My thick skull may be making it worse.

1 comment:

  1. How many pain in the neck jokes will you have to endure?

    ReplyDelete