Ice climbing at Eugenia Falls

Ice climbing at Eugenia Falls
Eugenia Falls

Wednesday 24 August 2011

Twice a day

Yesterday I had two good rides. In the morning I was out on the road bike with Todd for a 45 km ride and then in the evening I drove to the Snow Valley area to go mountain biking with Steve (the birthday boy), Cam and a few others as well as Susan, Steve's better half.
I enjoy riding down there because it is more of a speed ride with lots of twisty turny trails as well as many ramps, bridges and other such man made obstacles. I would have to say that it is a more fun ride for me than many of the trails at 3-stage because it is a speed circuit. For me many of 3-stages trails are riddled with technical section after technical section with very little speed involved. It's almost like trials riding. I don't mountain bike near as much anymore so my lack of practice doesn't help the situation.
Last night the Gary Fisher HiFi was again acting like a pogo stick which has been driving me crazy. I have not been able to find a setting that will stop the Rock Shox Recon from bouncing me through every  technical section. The front end of the bike becomes impossible to control.
It was recommended that I lower the tire pressure to around 28 psi but when I tried this last year and made quick steering corrections I broke the seal on the tubeless tire, lost all the air and crashed hard the second time it happened. So what to do? Run the tire hard and pogo through everything or run it soft and risk flatting and possibly crashing.
I reduced the tire pressure last night after a lot of pogoing (not sure of the actual psi) and the bike became ridable again and I didn't flat. There must be a perfect pressure where the bike handles well and doesn't flat so in the next few rides I am going to try to find the sweet spot. Problem is I don't have an accurate tire pressure gauge that works on presta valves so I suppose an adaptor for the valve may needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment