Ice climbing at Eugenia Falls

Ice climbing at Eugenia Falls
Eugenia Falls

Friday 12 August 2011

Another close call

Well I am certainly hoping things don't come in three's because I had another close call on my road bike today. I had just made the turn off of Grey 19 onto Grey 2 heading for Ravenna. It's downhill so my speed at the time was probably around 55 kph. I noticed an older guy pulling out of his driveway in a very old Jeep Cherokee and assumed he had seen me but you know what they say assuming does.  He pulled out extremely slowly and when it became very obvious that he had no idea I was there I hit the brakes hard. I'm thankful for my many years of riding because my back wheel locked and started to fish out to the right but I caught it in time and managed to get slowed down just enough to make an evasive maneuver into the oncoming traffic lane. I passed him and it looked like he was more than a little bit surprised, possibly from the f-bombs I hurled at him going by.
That's two very close calls in three weeks. I know on the last one the guy did see me coming from behind like he did so I will never know what exactly happened there. On this one there's no doubt in my mind that it was simply a case of the driver taking a quick look for cars and when seeing no cars he pulled out into my lane. Scary stuff.

1 comment: