Ice climbing at Eugenia Falls

Ice climbing at Eugenia Falls
Eugenia Falls

Wednesday 31 August 2011

The little victories

Today was a beauty riding day, overcast and about 23 C so off I went to ride the 50 mile Centurion course. This time I loaded up with Gatorade, lots of water and some snacks in hopes of not bonking big this time around.
I got to the top of the Grey 19 climb in good time for me and pushed on with the idea of treating this ride like a simulated race. It seemed to me like my speed was good and for the most part I felt fairly strong although by the time I turned back onto Grey 19 heading for home my legs were certainly a little heavy. Partway up the first climb an older gentleman (I think) pulled up beside me, we chatted for about a minute and then he passed me on the way to the crest of the hill. I couldn't let myself be passed by someone older (I think) than myself so I gave a little more and at the top I was back on his rear wheel. I then pulled a Jim Twining. I sat and drafted for about 2 minutes, got some energy and then pulled out and blew by him and hammered down. I'm sure I was a blur to him when passing, hopefully not because of his deteriorating vision. He never did manage to catch up to me either, hopefully not because of his varicose veins. I last saw him just before the Grey 19 downhill and yelled "see you later Methuselah" but it's doubtful he heard me, hopefully not because his hearing aid was on low.
In total it was 90 km done in 3:26 with an average speed of 26.2 kph and an average cadence of 77 rpm. I had an average heart rate of 148 bpm, a peak of 173 and the calories burnt reading was 3360 which is a little high. 2500 calories would be more accurate I think. Update: I went to a site that calculates calories burned for specific activities and it's estimate was 2966 calories.
As for passing Methuselah all I can say is the little victories in life sure feel good......to little people like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment