Ice climbing at Eugenia Falls

Ice climbing at Eugenia Falls
Eugenia Falls

Friday 2 September 2011

Little victories, lots of aches

It's about 30 hours since I finished my 90 km ride and there is little doubt that I used up just about all of the energy I required to get through today. I have been a veritable useless bag of shit for the entire day, barely moving from the recliner. Walking the dog felt like a major chore. I suppose my state of exhaustion wouldn't be quite so advanced if I had just let Methuselah ride away. But no, not me. I'm 56 now but I still think there is something I have to prove. Today has proved that if I ride hard for 90 km I will feel like a bag of shit the next day. There's a reason I'm not a rocket scientist.
It's now a day later and I woke up feeling rested so I figured what the hell, may as well go for a ride to see how the legs respond. I did what I call my sprint ride which is 35 km of flats over by the airport. My legs felt pretty good so the idea was to try and beat my 32 kph average on the same ride that I did about a month ago. There was a SW breeze which had some effect on me but near the end of the ride I thought the 32 kph might be beatable but I was wrong. My average was 31.1 which I still was happy with because yesterday I could hardly get out of my recliner. My cadence was the highest I've managed to date at 83 rpm so that is a positive. High cadence is supposed to be more efficient so for an old hammer style mountain biker like myself it has taken some effort to increase my rate of pedaling. All in all a good ride on a beauty day.

No comments:

Post a Comment