Ice climbing at Eugenia Falls

Ice climbing at Eugenia Falls
Eugenia Falls

Friday 16 September 2011

It's over

I trained hard through the summer and I'm now in better shape than I have ever been and it has all been for naught. I was looking forward to beating my 50 mile time from last years Centurion  but that's not going to happen now.
Over 20 years ago I tore my anterior cruciate ligament and my medial collateral ligament completely in a skiing accident. I was a beginner and going way too fast when it happened at Osler Bluff ski club. The surgeon inserted a teflon acl which is the ligament that really stabilizes your knee. It has worked great for me until some very minor problems cropped up this year.
Now I have a major problem. My knee started to hurt yesterday afternoon for no good reason and as of now I have next to no movement in it. It is sore as hell and I have become a gimp. I can't be sure but I think the teflon ligament has broken inside my knee. This is a worst case scenario but I can't think of what else could have happened to create this much trouble with the knee. The last time I had the surgery it was 6 months before I could finally walk properly again. I have my fingers crossed hoping that I am wrong. Please.
I am now back from emerg with an appointment to see the orthopedic surgeon next week. They seemed a bit reluctant to mess with a knee that had reconstructive surgery done on it in the dark ages. They actually heard what was done to it and commented "hmm, old school". Lucky for me I saved my knee brace from the original injury and am now wearing it which allows me a little more freedom of movement.

1 comment:

  1. Nooooooooooooo! Poor you and I hope it is something that they can fix.

    ReplyDelete