Ice climbing at Eugenia Falls

Ice climbing at Eugenia Falls
Eugenia Falls

Monday 12 September 2011

The Doctor is in

The Centurion ride is coming up this weekend and I have been training hard in hopes of beating my chip time of 2:59:09 from last year. This past weekend I did a 90 km ride through Creemore, Badjeros and Feversham and a 50 km ride up Grey 19, around and back down the Pretty River road and home. Both rides I pushed myself and after Sunday's 50 km ride I was feeling spent but considering that I averaged 28.6 kph on my 90 km ride the day before it was understandable that I would be tired. It was a good tired.
I will do only one more sprint ride on Wednesday and then I will rest up, try to get some carbs in for a couple of days before the race and hopefully improve on last year although weather conditions could certainly play a part in that also.
I am also aware that many athletes use sports psychologists to aid them in their performances and so I figured why not, it wouldn't be the first time I've visited a head doctor. I have been known to be a bit bonkers from time to time.
I found a sports psychiatrist which I guess is the same thing as a psychologist and she promised that she could improve my sports performances by helping me to focus on the positive, block out the negative and to trust in myself more. I call her Dr. Lucy and I think she is going to benefit me immensely. The cost is not covered under OHIP but I think it will be worth the out of pocket expense.





Baring my soul
I plan on seeing her after the Centurion to work on some other issues I have like difficulty trusting people and team mates. She has a great trust building exercise where she holds the football and then I try to kick a field goal. She is confident it will be beneficial to me. I can't wait.

1 comment: