Ice climbing at Eugenia Falls

Ice climbing at Eugenia Falls
Eugenia Falls

Wednesday 25 May 2011

Planking

I guess if I ever want to be with it or hip (outdated expressions?) I will have to consider taking up a new sport. Well I guess it's not really a sport, it's more of a pastime or fad or to be completely accurate an incredibly silly thing to do. It's called planking and all that is required to perform a plank is to lie face down as stiff as a board in a public place. That's it. You just lie there and hope no one steps on you or trips over you or who knows what. I am not sure if there are time limits as to how long the plank has to be performed or if there are style points involved but it is now becoming a bit of an internet sensation. There are 2 Taiwanese girls who call themselves Pujie which means "falling in the street" and they have become planking celebrities. They have been photographed planking down stairs, across motorcycles, on park benches (legs over the bench back and forehead touching the ground) and many other strange locations. They apparently are trying to convey a positive social message although I am not sure how planking achieves this or what exactly the message is but without a doubt they are becoming famous. They have over 100,000 followers on Facebook now which to me is absolutely mind boggling. It used to be you needed some kind of talent to become famous but in this day and age being able to feign rigormortis can go viral on the internet and presto, instant celebrity. I considered going downtown in Collingwood and performing a plank but it occurred to me that I could get injured. Not from being stepped on or tripped over, nothing that obvious. At my age I would probably hurt myself just attempting to perform the plank. I think I'll leave the tough stuff like lying down and doing nothing to the younger crowd and I'll stick to activities that get my heart going and keep my body loose like recreational drugs bike riding.

No comments:

Post a Comment