Ice climbing at Eugenia Falls

Ice climbing at Eugenia Falls
Eugenia Falls

Wednesday 13 April 2011

Ski season summary

 It's a beautiful Wednesday and the ski season is over for all of us now so I figured I would look back on the year.
  I had a thoroughly enjoyable year skiing this year, probably the most fun I have had skiing in many years. I even managed to get out on the snowboard 3 times out of the roughly 25 times at the hill. It would have been great to board one day in Colorado but I couldn't fit it in my bag along with the skis. Oh well, you can't have everything.
  Thursday was my ski day of choice this year because the crowds were small and it seems to be the lucky day for good visibility on the hill. Lori came up Thursdays as well and Cam made it up for some of them (he's management now so there are fewer play days). We would ski until around 11:15 and then head to Jozo's for lunch which usually included the onion rings. Best onion rings I have ever had.                                         
  I don't think I had any spectacular crashes this year but I did go through the windshield on Starters Gate one day. I slid down on my chest for a ways before managing to stop, looked around and happily notice that no one saw or heard it which raises the age old question...If Gary crashes on the hill and no one sees or hears it and his subsequent cursing goes undetected, did it really happen? The answer is of course, it wouldn't be a real ski day if I wasn't grooming some hill somewhere. I tend to ski the way I mountain bike which is on the verge of disaster at all times. You only live once. And besides on a really cold day somebody has to provide the comic relief .
  Speaking of comic relief Lori and I had what might have been the best laugh of the year on O-Hill (or whatever it's called now) about a month ago. We were both sporting an illegal smile (thank you John Prine) and heading up on the chair when we noticed a portly oversized chubby obese fat fucker who had crashed and was now attempting to walk about 25 feet up the hill to retrieve one of his skis. It looked like that was the most exercise he had had in several years. He finally made it to the ski, turned around and after a step or two began skiing down the hill in his boots. By the time he stopped himself he had gone past the other ski and now had to turn uphill again and struggle some more. The chair had stopped so Lori and I had birds eye view of  his efforts and due to the illegal smile we were probably more amused that we would normally have been. He finally made it back to the ski, bent over to try to get them back on and started sliding backwards down the hill in the shape of a tripod. He must have waxed his ski boots.Well this was just more than we could take and we broke into a raucous illegal laugh. The people beside us had no idea what was going on and thankfully due to darkened ski goggles they would never guess. The chair finally started to move again causing me to yell at them to "STOP THE CHAIR" for the first time in my life. Moments like these are precious. Sadly the chair kept on going and we didn't get to see him ski down the hill. I know we shouldn't have been laughing but sometimes you just can't help yourself and I know one thing for sure, I hope I see him on O-Hill again next year while I am wearing an illegal smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment