Ice climbing at Eugenia Falls

Ice climbing at Eugenia Falls
Eugenia Falls

Monday 25 April 2011

The Dead Zone

This is the time of year in Collingwood I call the dead zone. This one goes from the end of ski season until the May 24 weekend and there is another one that runs from after Thanksgiving to the first ski day. The town is noticeably quieter. the good part of this is that many restaurants offer up dinner specials to try to entice customers due to the reduction in business. I just want to know why they can't offer up beer specials, that would entice me more.
The ski season just ended this weekend so it was 4 1/2 months long which is a good season for Blue. I personally had a 25 day ski year including the 6 days in Colorado. That means my 5x7 pass worked out to less than $10 per day which is a great deal. I really enjoyed skiing this year. The only thing missing was I didn't get out on a weekend to ski with Silvia, Steve, Terry and the rest of the weekend crowd. I will make sure that problem will be remedied next year.
I finally got out for a bike ride yesterday and although it wasn't exactly warm it was a nice 42 km ride on my new bike. My buddy Aaron was also on his new bike so we both had good cases of newbikeitis. The sun was shining and there were many people out riding, enjoying the day and getting a little exercise. I was wearing a heart rate monitor for the ride and the results were: 1 1/2 hour ride, minimum heart rate of 118, max of 167, average of 149. The monitor also gave a calories burned total of 1457 but I am quite sure that is much to high. The monitor was set for my age and weight but I still think that total is incorrect.
Using the monitor on the ride has given me an idea for a little experiment. I will keep track on my rides of my heart but I will also wear it for doing house chores such as vacuuming, washing the car or cutting the lawn. It will be interesting to compare the numbers, especially the calories because although I think the total is high,  it will give an idea of the benefits of just doing things around the house. I just hope I can remember to put the monitor on for the household chores.
OK, I have no idea why this piece of shit has whited out a section of this post but I have deleted that section and redone it but it was still fucking whited out so who the fuck knows. Piss me off but I am not going to redo it. If you double click on the article the whole thing will appear and you can read it in blue I think. If this does not work for you please post a comment so I can try to fix the fucking thing. You may have also noticed on a previous post that the paragraphs were all screwed up. I don't know what happened there either but sometimes I would like to toss this piece of shit through the window.

1 comment:

  1. Gary, I had to click over the white bit and get one word at a time so it was really entertaining when I got to the 'only thing missing was I didn't get...' HA! I guessed wrong for the next word!!!

    ReplyDelete