Ice climbing at Eugenia Falls

Ice climbing at Eugenia Falls
Eugenia Falls

Tuesday 5 April 2011

Day 2, Beaver Creek

  It's Tuesday morning and we are getting ready to hop in a cab and head over to Vail. Yesterday at Beaver Creek was fantastic with about 1 foot of fresh snow on the non-groomed trails. The day started out with all of us awake far too early and when the time came to catch the shuttle to the mountain we were all running around like we had just gotten up. It was hot in the chalet and once we had our ski clothes on it was doubly so. I went to undo the snaps on my ski sweater only to realize I had a slight problem.
Yes, that's correct, I had my sweater on backwards. I thought something didn't seem right. The other scary part is man o man, I am completely grey at the back now.  After I got the sweater straightened away it was off to the mountain.
 At this point I will explain that it is now Tuesday night and I have been drinking. We had an incredible day at Vail with the sun blazing and the snow was fantastic. Lori, Cam and myself did a lot of glade runs with tons of snow and bumps. I am not the greatest skier either so when we get to the tough stuff it's hard for me to look like anything other than a spastic wearing dangerous weapons. After we had lunch at the "Dawg Haus" we headed back up for some more runs in the glades. I knew by then my legs were pretty much done but I figured what the hell . At one point Lori was stopped so I made my way over to her but just before I arrived I hit some deep snow (or something), lurched forward, ran into Lori, grabbed hold of her and wrestled her to the ground to break my fall. I am quite sure I even apologized before we hit the ground. It looked like we were playing Twister and I had just failed to hit the black dot. Lucky for me, both Lori and Cam are aware of what a shitty skier I am. On the bright side no one was hurt and we continued on. Lori and I headed to the bar after that and Cam found a friend who would continue to ski with him so everthing was good. I ended up drinking too much (which nowadays isn't that much) and not having the greatest technical ski day of my life but it was still a great time. I made it back home in one piece so life is good, the planets are aligned and there is bacon frying in the pan right now and I can't think straight anymore. Cheers!

Couldn't you get the hell out of the way

No comments:

Post a Comment