Ice climbing at Eugenia Falls

Ice climbing at Eugenia Falls
Eugenia Falls

Saturday 10 December 2011

Snow report, updated

I have called this a snow report but it could just as easily be a lack of snow report. There is virtually no natural snow on the hill. They are blowing snow at the top but the chances of a good Christmas skiing are looking slim right now.
I just checked the Blue web site and there are no towers blowing snow right now although there is a large snow gun blasting at the foot of the Silver Bullet. It seems to me they are going to need a ton of snow to cover the mini golf at the base of the hill. I also talked to someone at Blue yesterday and they were blowing at the top where it was cold enough and planning to push snow down the slope if necessary. The sad part is all this work could be pointless because later on this week rain is predicted for a couple of days with temperatures around 7C  in the daytime.
All this bad snow news is bothersome because I am really looking forward to getting out on the boards this year. Just a few years ago I wasn't sure if I wanted to ski again but that feeling has left me and I can't wait to speed out of control down the hill again. I even have new boots now, Lange RX 120s from Kemark Snowsports in Richmond Hill which should be great all mountain boots. Tom spent a lot of time fitting me and making the footbeds. They are comfortable and I can actually wiggle my toes because of the large toe box so hopefully my feet will be warmer. I don't want to lose a toenail like I did last year after our trip to Vail. I also picked up a new boot bag which I will use to transport all the things I might need in a day of skiing. It will come in real handy at the season ending trip out west, location as yet undecided.


Boot bag and Guinness' toy skunk
I'm going to head out to the back yard now and do a snow dance. I don't have to worry what the neighbours might think because it wouldn't be the first time that they have seen me convulsing in the back yard, ranting and raving, speaking in tongues. I think they are getting used to it actually.
I have just come back from the hill. I climbed up the Orchard and there certainly is very little natural snow on the ground, barely enough to cover the grass and that's about it. Blue had the snowmaking going full bore at the central area, Tranquility and Smart Alec, but nothing anywhere else. If anything is open next weekend it may just be those two runs.


Top of Orchard

1 comment:

  1. Aren't you usually throwing faulty electrical appliances when you are doing that rant dance?!

    ReplyDelete