Ice climbing at Eugenia Falls

Ice climbing at Eugenia Falls
Eugenia Falls

Wednesday 14 December 2011

No Snow

Well it's tough to write about sports in Collingwood when Blue Mountain will be lucky if they can open this weekend. There is virtually no natural snow on the ground now and it is too warm to make snow so if 2 runs are open on the weekend I think they will be lucky. For me that sucks because I am no longer working, have very little to keep myself occupied and I have been looking forward to skiing this year more than I have for many years. I have new stuff just waiting to be used, almost new skis, new boots, new poles (leather wrapped grips....oooooh, aaaaah), a new jacket and pants and finally a new helmet, a $20 helmet for a $20 head.
The last couple of days I have walked up the hill at the unused Orchard runs with Guinness tagging along, stripping bushes of as many burrs as he possibly could. On Monday while cresting a steep section of the climb I did spot something amazing, a full size buck with a beautiful full rack, certainly the most impressive antlers I have ever seen. He was about 75 metres uphill from me and I guess he didn't see me because of the steep section I had just climbed and he didn't get my scent (eau de ultramaroon) because I was downwind from him. A great sighting followed by the spotting of a doe and fawn on the way down the hill. Sadly I forgot my camera so there is no record of it. Tuesday Brian and I were climbing the hill again when we spotted 5 deer about 150 metres away. I managed to get some pictures of them with my new smart phone (I feel strangely inadequate when using this phone. If it could get erections I would have to off myself for being redundant) but they were so far away you can hardly see them in the photo. All the same it was cool to see that many grazing on the hill.
So there you have it, no snow, little to do other than try to get a little bit of exercise here and there. My snow dance in the backyard was obviously unsuccessful although I'm sure the neighbours were entertained. We will just have to be patient which let me say is not one of my stronger suits. Damn.

No comments:

Post a Comment