Ice climbing at Eugenia Falls

Ice climbing at Eugenia Falls
Eugenia Falls

Friday 30 December 2011

Night skiing

Last night was my first time out on the skis this year. I met up with Aaron at 4:30 and away we went, sort of. He went and I struggled with one of my new boots and the binding for a while. I finally thought I had clicked in, went to skate away only to leave one ski behind and end up looking like a beached orca. So much for a flawless year with no crashes. At least I got it out of the way. It seems a clump of snow was causing the problem and there were no further troubles with the bindings.
My new boots (Lange RX120's) were very comfy but it is going to take a while to adjust to boots that aren't as stiff, are slightly taller I think and have a different angle between the foot and ankle, or at least that's the way it felt. On the plus side my feet were quite warm the whole time. My new Spyder jacket was very warm as well and my helmet, with speakers pumping out the tunes, was great as well. An added bonus was I couldn't hear people calling me a doofus with the music on.
The skiing was fairly good, all things considered, with some of the hills to the south being open now (O-hill Cruiser, and Big Baby). We skied down Dr. Doug as well with what had to be a record for the number of skiers on that hill at one time. The snow making was going full bore which was understandable. It was overall a really good start to the ski season.
We then went to Jozo's to listen to Touch of Vinyl for a while. They are a local band and certainly one of the best bands to see in the area. Good music and lots of fun. I may have to make my way over today for the matinee. I'm so glad ski season is here.

1 comment:

  1. So you finally made it out - good for you. I'll be out soon so you better get a few more days in.

    ReplyDelete