Ice climbing at Eugenia Falls

Ice climbing at Eugenia Falls
Eugenia Falls

Friday 4 May 2012

A new job? with the update!!!!

For the first time in 36 years I have gone to a job interview. The last 4 1/2 months off have been nice but after a while one can get pretty bored so in the last month I have sent out job applications to several golf courses, Blue Mountain and the Scenic Caves in hopes of securing part time work. I had no bites from the golf courses which is probably good because many of the jobs required a 6:00 to 6:30 AM start time. On average I get up around 6:30 to 7 which is not exactly late but to have to get up at 5:15 in the morning did not appeal to me. I also applied at Blue for a mountain bike guide job but they wanted someone 5 days a week and that was not something that interested me.
Several weeks ago I did see a help wanted ad in the paper for the Scenic Caves. They were looking for zipline-treetop walk guides which sounded like a fun job and something I might like so I applied and yesterday was interview day. If I remember correctly, 36 years ago I would go to job interviews trying to seem older and more mature. I doubt anyone bought that act but eventually I did get the job at Bell because my Aunt, a Bell employee, gave me an interview reference card. Yesterday I tried to look young and vigorous, bright eyed and bushy tailed, hale and hardy, rough and ready. I guess I was hoping the interviewer was blind and deaf. I limped out of the car with a stiff knee, my thinning grey hair and orthopaedic shoes exposing me for what I am, a 56 year old who has had his share of hard knocks physically and psychologically. Lucky for me it's easier to hide 36 years of Bell induced disillusion than it is a sore knee.
The interview itself seemed to go well and I will know in a few days  whether or not I will once again be gainfully employed. My fingers are crossed even though that hurts as well.





I GOT THE JOB! I GOT THE JOB! What the hell am I doing? I don't need a job. I'm retired. What the hell was I thinking. Who cares if the dog is sick of looking at me lazing around. Tough shit for him. What about my afternoon nap?.......naps. I'm going to search for my marbles now.

3 comments:

  1. I'd be useless at that because I would keep going for rides on the zipline myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Zippy I'll have to give it a try. Are you the one that will make sure I am all clipped in????

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I will be chief knot tyer and head buckle fastener although the only knot I really know is a slip knot.

    ReplyDelete