Ice climbing at Eugenia Falls

Ice climbing at Eugenia Falls
Eugenia Falls

Saturday 22 October 2011

Last road ride?

Today was probably my last road ride for the year. Todd and I went for a short ride over to the airport, back to Blue Mountain and then returned to Collingwood. Standing outside just before we left I was chilled but I figured it wouldn't take very long to warm up. How wrong could I be? As well as being only 10C it was quite breezy which gave the chill even more bite. The totals were 43 km in 1:34:21 with a low average cadence of 75 rpm. My toes were frozen on one foot near the end as well as having some numb fingers.
As it stands right now my quads are stiff, probably because I never managed to get the muscles warm enough to function properly through the entire ride. It's a bit of a piss off because my last ride ride of the year was pretty much a lousy ride that I had a tough time enjoying.
My season total was 2400 kms on the bike which doesn't really seem like a lot to me but April's weather was terrible so very little riding was done and in the last month I have worked so much there hasn't been much good biking time.
This was the first year I given a concentrated effort into road riding and there is no doubt about it, I really enjoy it. I like the "Zen" aspect of it, concentrating on my spin, my efficiency and ways to improve. As much as it seems simple it isn't.
I loved riding the Trek Madone as well and I'm quite sure there will be no need for a new bike for many years to come.
Tomorrow it's off to Steve's place near Snow Valley for what will probably be my last mountain bike ride of the year. I didn't ride my Gary Fisher that much this year but at least the set up on the bike is correct for me now and the recent rides on it have been enjoyable. I like the Snow Valley rides so it should be a good day.
It's now Monday and I would like to report that my Sunday mountain bike ride at Steve's place was excellent. Cam, Dan and myself rode together and Lori and Susan went their own way on their ride. It was a perfect fall day and thankfully Cam knows the trails because it was hard see where they were sometimes with all the fallen leaves. The Gary Fisher Hifi was fun to ride because it is finally set up properly. It was completely predictable the entire ride. Steve and Susan did a great dinner afterwards so all in all it was a perfect way to end the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment