Ice climbing at Eugenia Falls

Ice climbing at Eugenia Falls
Eugenia Falls

Saturday 30 July 2011

Still alive

It's been a while so I would like to say I am still alive but I am lucky to be able to say that. Today on my ride a pickup pulling a house trailer came as close to me as any vehicle ever on a bike ride. I was heading west from Creemore but I hadn't made it to the climb when a truck came perilously close to me. I was listening to my MP3 so I wasn't aware of a vehicle coming but there is no doubt in my mind that I was inside of 1 foot from the roads edge. The pickup was close but when the trailer passed me I would guess that it was within 2 inches of hitting me. It scared the living shit out of me. He passed by me and then went off the road about 50 metres ahead of me and rode the shoulder for 10 or 20 metres before making it back to the road. By that time I had recovered enough to give him the finger as well as shouting out some of my best stuff.
Was he drunk? Probably not because it was only slightly after 11 in the morning. Maybe he was just a lousy driver or falling asleep at the wheel. I'll never know. I do know it scared the shit out of me and although I'm not sure listening to my MP3 made any difference I'm not sure if I'll continue to listen to it in the future.
As for the ride itself I felt as strong as ever and from Creemore I went to Badjeros and then back home. It totalled out at 76 km's in 2 hours and 40 minutes for an average of 28.5 kph. I'm happy with those numbers and even happier to be sipping on a cold Hockley Dark right now. If you love beer do yourself a favour and try Hockley Dark. It is one fantastic beer and tastes even better when you realize how close you were to disaster.

1 comment: