Ice climbing at Eugenia Falls

Ice climbing at Eugenia Falls
Eugenia Falls

Sunday 10 July 2011

BONK!

I'm guessing that most of you are aware of what a bonk is in riding parlance but it does have other meanings so I'll make sure it's clear. There is bonkers which means you are nuts and the term has been directed at me before but it's not the meaning being used today. There is getting bonked which is a real good thing but it's been a while since I have been able to find a willing co-bonker so that is not the subject of this blog either.
The bonk I am referring to is what happens when you go for a long ride and don't bring food or energy drinks and after about 3 hours your reserves run out and there are no energy sources left to draw on. That's what happened to me yesterday. I decided to ride the 50 mile centurion course but I wasn't bright enough to bring anything other than water on the ride with me. I left at around 9:30 AM confident that although it was getting warm it wouldn't have that bad an effect. How wrong could I be? By the time I got to the 3'rd big climb going back up Grey 2 to Ravenna (2 1/2 hrs in) it was becoming obvious that my energy stores were running low. I got to Ravenna and because I had now officially bonked the fact that there was $20 in my saddle pouch that could be used to buy things like food and sugar laden soft drinks didn't even occur to me. Instead I turned left and headed for the Scenic Caves downhill wondering if I could make the 3 tough climbs on the way there. Funny thing, my legs were fine when I was doing the tough climbs but as soon as I reached the top of the climbs and eased off on the pedalling a bit my quads started to hurt like hell. They continued to hurt like hell until the next climb. I hadn't expected that. I must admit it was my worst bonk ever.
I finally made it to the Caves road and survived the downhill and stopped at Steve's chalet to rest for a bit. I was dizzy and aching so there was no choice but to try and mooch some food for energy to get me home. Steve poured me a huge glass of orange juice but I didn't think it would go down so he found a Crispy Crunch candy bar and I woofed that down. Within a few minutes I started feeling a bit better and figured the ride home was possible so it was back on the bike and away I went. Thanks Steve.
I made it home in slow time, still exhausted but at least a ride home in someones car wasn't required because that would make me a pussy. The ride was 89.5 kms which is a good distance but not one that should have hurt like that if I had prepared properly. I'm 55 years old and still dumb as shit sometimes. When will I ever learn? Probably never.

No comments:

Post a Comment