Ice climbing at Eugenia Falls

Ice climbing at Eugenia Falls
Eugenia Falls

Saturday 11 June 2011

Scenic Caves road

I haven't climbed Scenic Caves road for a while but overall I have probably gone up it at least 100 times. I still vividly remember the first time, gasping for air, not even close to the first turn and wondering how the hell I was going to make it to the top. My heart rate monitor was set for a high of 186 and it would flash if you were within 10 beats of your max. It flashed pretty much the entire way up the hill. That first climb was probably the most difficult thing I have ever done in my life but there was certainly a huge sense of accomplishment when I made it to the top in 18 minutes or so. Later on as I continued to ride and improve my fitness the time went down to slightly under 15 minutes which isn't super fast but it's not a snails pace either. All of these rides were done on my mountain bike which is geared low hence making it an easier bike to climb on. I have ridden up the Caves road on my old road bike and I do remember it was a tough grunt. I guess it's time to ride up it on my new Trek Madone and see if I can still make it. I am fitter than I was years ago but I am not sure if I still have the determination and the willingness to accept the struggle that it will be. It's supposed to clear later on today and if it does I am going to head over there and give it a go. Lets hope I make it
OK. Not a lot of time. No ride up the caves road today. It's 10:05 AM and I have just realized that I have a wedding to be at in the Georgetown area at 2 PM! Why the hell didn't someone remind me???? Don't they realize I live in a dense fog for extended periods of time????? What should I get for a gift????? Where the hell am I going????? Who's getting married????? Just kidding, I know that much. What am I going to wear???? I'm tired of looking like a Mennonite when I get dressed up. All that's missing is the straw hat. WHAT'S MY NAME??????????????
OK. I couldn't ride the caves so I went downstairs and got on the rollers and did 22 km in a little over half an hour so I averaged at least 42 kph which is pretty good. A simple ride like that helps me forget all the days problems. Right! Like I need help forgetting. Gotta get moving now.

No comments:

Post a Comment