Ice climbing at Eugenia Falls

Ice climbing at Eugenia Falls
Eugenia Falls

Monday 13 June 2011

Golf to die for

I think I have mentioned in earlier blogs that I have a love hate (mostly hate) relationship with golf. It has driven me into short term bouts of insanity at times. Something always strange happens on the course when I am out there and that may be why I don't golf that much anymore.
One day in particular comes to mind though. It was hot as hell that day and I had a chance to get out golfing with my friend Josef , Al  and the other golfer in the foursome was Rudy who I discovered had coached Todd Brooker ski racing many years before. Rudy was around 70 years old but was still active and a pretty good golfer as well. Rudy and I were walking that day so I had the opportunity to have some nice chats with him while we made our way around the course. I remember at the 10'th hole he soaked his hat in cold water and then put it back on so he could stay cool for a while. When we got to the thirteenth hole (the most difficult on the course) Rudy was the first on the green and had a 15 foot putt for par which was impressive. He was repairing ball marks when he suddenly stood up straight and then almost flipped over on to his back. When we got over to him he was gasping for air and things didn't look good. We tried using all the first aid we had been taught over the years but it was obvious very early on that Rudy wasn't coming back, paramedics or not.
Now I know there is nothing funny about this at all because he was putting for par on the toughest hole on the course and didn't get the opportunity to make the putt. Maybe the pressure got to him but I doubt it. I do remember when I was walking out to the parking lot shortly thereafter Josef came chasing after me with a rain check for another 18 holes because we didn't complete our round. I thought that was nice but honestly, at that point I wasn't too worried about not completing the round of golf. I took the rain check anyways. Then Al looked at me and said something like it had been a hell of a day and we should go smoke a joint, to put things in perspective I suppose so there we were in the parking lot donning an illegal smile. Then it was off to the Beaver and Bulldog for beers. As strange as all this seemed I think because Rudy was an avid golfer and nice guy he would have understood. I sure hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment