Ice climbing at Eugenia Falls

Ice climbing at Eugenia Falls
Eugenia Falls

Friday 26 October 2012

Stiff and sore

Yesterday I rode almost all the way to Badjeros and back. The ride took 2:10 but the real story is how the ride there differed from the ride back.
While getting ready for the ride I noticed that the wind was picking up but from the house it was tough to tell the direction. As soon as I got moving it became obvious that the wind was coming from the SW and it was steady and strong. This made the climb up the Pretty River road much slower than usual. To make things even more difficult was the road surface which was tarred and gravelled several months ago and is now a rough surface with much more rolling resistance. I doubt anyone will be setting their personal best climbing Pretty River road for a few years.
The wind blew steady down the hill. I made up it to Robroy and continued straight through but now it seemed even stronger, blowing directly from the SW. On days like these I am glad I didn't buy aero wheels because they definitely would have given me handling problems in the cross wind.
At 30 kms out I turned around and headed back. Riding home was a complete contrast to the ride out. With the wind now at my back I made great time although near the end I was lagging a bit, mostly because I was pooped from the ride out.
Riding up and into the wind for 30 kms took 1:25 with an average speed of roughly 21.5 kph. Riding back took only 44 minutes with an average of 37.8 kph so it was like two completely different rides. I should also note that because the bottom half of Pretty River road is so rough and there is still loose gravel I don't push hard on that section. Crashing on that surface would rip your skin to shreds.
I also had a close call in the traffic circle at Poplar and High where the car driver was oblivious to the fact that a bike was in the circle.
In the evening I went to my first ever league curling game and it was great. I actually got some rocks in the house and swept my ass off and let me tell you, sweeping those rocks all the way down the ice is hard work. Despite my limited ability we won 8-3 so we had to buy the first round of drinks for the losers which is how it is done in curling. Certainly takes the sting out of losing.
I think I'll take it a bit easier today.

No comments:

Post a Comment