Ice climbing at Eugenia Falls

Ice climbing at Eugenia Falls
Eugenia Falls

Wednesday 10 October 2012

New toys

The fall colours were brilliant this year but now the wind is blowing, the leaves are starting to fall and snow has already been spotted, only for a minute or so, at the Scenic Caves. It also seems unusually cold to me for this time of year so buying a new pair of skis seemed like the right thing to do so it was off to the annual ski swap at Blue.
The skis I have now are Dynastar Sultan Legend 85 all mountain skis and I love them but for this year I wanted something a little turnier so to speak. I arrived at 9:30 AM last Friday and it was already busy there. I figured a shorter slalom ski would be a good ski to contrast my Legends. After talking with a young racer and then getting help from a gentleman named Carl, who really seemed to know his skis, I settled on Dynastar Omeglass Speed 155 cm slalom skis with an 11 metre turning radius.  They are not the titanium model but they reviewed very well so hopefully I will be heading down the hill this winter linking a lot of nice round turns.

 
I have also joined the curling club in town so it was off to Play it Again Sports to see if I could find any decent prices on shoes and a brush (brooms are for wives and witches and my understanding is sometimes they are hard to tell apart). I managed to get a nice pair of shoes for $40, a gripper for $16 and a brush for $15 so it was a very worthwhile trip. Shoes at Canadian Tire were $130 so I saved some money (remember, I'm a cheap guy) and still ended up with new equipment.

 
So here comes winter and the only left to buy is my 5x7 ski pass and I am good to go.
I also have to admit that my somewhat unreliable memory (OK, I'm bordering on mindless twit territory) almost cost some some cash this weekend. I had put in ski boots for Lori at the swap and I was supposed to go back Thanksgiving Monday to pick them up if they hadn't sold but of course I forgot. It was Tuesday when it finally dawned on me that I had forgotten so I rushed over to the swap but everything had already been cleaned out. Luckily, after a few phone calls I tracked down the guy in charge of the swap and the boots didn't sell so he's going to drop them off at the house. Talk about great customer service. I guess I should also say sorry to Lori. Please don't beat me with your broom.



3 comments:

  1. Yes Gary I have a broom, in fact I have several for various conditions I may encounter.

    Too bad about my boots I thought they would sell in a heart beat. People don't know anything!! Thanks for finding them for me, I'll keep them for guest boots.

    ReplyDelete