Ice climbing at Eugenia Falls

Ice climbing at Eugenia Falls
Eugenia Falls

Sunday 13 January 2013

Tacx trainer lack of support

It has been a while but due to a lot of requests, one to be precise, I am doing another post. The person who put forth the request shall remain nameless although I will say that last night around midnight I received two texts, one from him and another one from the other drunk (I presume) sitting across the table from him (I hope). Both texters professed their love for me. I hope they both meant they loved me in a father figure, you're a miserable old prick kind of way but I guess I will never know for sure. I do know for sure that when some guys drink they can get strange and when some guys drink Red Bull and vodka pants become optional. I do know that.
My nonfunctioning setup
Onto my little rant now. I purchased a Tacx Bushido trainer about two months ago and finally received it a month ago. This trainer with the proper Tacx software should allow me to train with my computer hooked up to a big screen tv so I can see all sorts of different info such as my watts output, cadence, speed etc. while climbing to a video of the Alpe d'huez, with the brake of the trainer reflecting the steepness of the climb. The steeper the hill the harder it is to pedal. There are also virtual courses where I can race against a virtual opponent on many different famous race routes or race online against other riders sitting on their trainers in their basements or garages. How cool is that.
The problem with all this is I can't get the software to work on my computer. Every time I set the program up it freezes and I have to control-alt-delete to get out of the program. Very frustrating indeed but what is even worse is the customer support provide by Tacx. It is virtually nonexistent. Ask them a question and they usually send a link to their analysis tool which is really just a way for them to ignore your troubles.
When I investigated further I found that this problem with the software is not confined to only me. The problem is widespread with many customers of Tacx swearing they will never buy a Tacx trainer again. They too can't believe how bad the customer support is and how problematic the software can be.
I have discovered that although my Tacx software says it will work on Windows 7, 64 bit, this is apparently not true and just about anyone with Windows 7 has a great deal of difficulty getting it to function. I am now getting a used desktop computer with an upgraded video card and Windows XP which I hope will solve the problem. I have my doubts but who knows, I might get it to work. It has certainly been a painful and more expensive than I thought it would be learning experience.
Lucky for me I can always take solace in the fact that out there somewhere somebody loves me, hopefully in a father figure, you're a miserable prick kind of way.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Gary, there are people out there that love you and they go to church on Sundays to pray for you.

    ReplyDelete