Ice climbing at Eugenia Falls

Ice climbing at Eugenia Falls
Eugenia Falls

Monday 21 January 2013

Tacx and Murphy's Law

The fun goes on. It's now almost 2 months since I received my tacx bike trainer and it is not working in tandem with my computer and big screen tv yet. It seems that every problem solved leads to a new problem.
After many attempts to get the TTS (Tacx trainer software) to work with my laptop I have finally given up. It seems the TTS doesn't work with Windows 7 64 bit which is what my laptop has so I ordered a used desktop with an upgraded video card and Windows XP.
My first problem with this computer was that the s video cable that I had fit my tv but didn't match the s video outlet on the computer video card. Silly of me to think that 2 the 2 s video outlets would be the same. I ended up buying a DVI to HDMI cable and voila, a giant computer monitor became a reality. Another issue was I needed a keyboard and mouse to use with the desktop unit so I had purchased a bluetooth adapter for the Blackberry keyboard that I use with my Playbook. Problem was in order to download the bluetooth program I needed a mouse to operate the computer. The perfect Catch 22. Lucky for me Deb had brought her computer and mouse up for the weekend so I was able to use it to download the bluetooth program. I still couldn't get the program to find the keyboard so I had to leave it up to Jim to figure it out. I can now operate my desktop with my Blackberry keyboard which also has a touchpad to serve as a mouse.
I then downloaded the TTS program and wonders of wonders the computer recognised the antenna the trainer uses. To complete the setup I had to have an internet connection so Tacx can activate the software but of course the desktop does not have wifi so I grabbed the wireless modem upstairs and plugged it into the downstairs jack and ran a long cable to the computer. I couldn't get any internet so after some investigation I find that there is no signal at the phone jack. This is a line I ran myself years ago and it functioned before so why not now? I check where it enters the house and there is no signal so there must be a fault in the buried wire.
Today I am going to run a temporary service from my demarcation point at the side of the house to where the buried wire enters the house. This should give me internet in the basement for the winter and come spring I will repair the buried wire and remove the temp. I have done this same thing hundreds of times at work when I was a cable repairman with Bell so hopefully all will go well. The only drag is today is the coldest day of the year. Murphy's law.

No comments:

Post a Comment