Ice climbing at Eugenia Falls

Ice climbing at Eugenia Falls
Eugenia Falls

Monday 9 July 2012

Strava

Today I headed out for a ride with my friend Brian. Our plan was to head up Grey 19 and then make our way over to Feversham.
Recently I heard some riders talking about a phone app called Strava so I loaded it on my smartphone and decided to give it a try today. I knew it uses the phones GPS to map your rides but after that I wasn't too sure of what else the app is capable of.
I stepped outside for the ride and went to the app and within a minute it was GPS capable so off I went. Brian was waiting for me at the base of Grey 19 and we started our climb. I made it to the top in what I thought was good time and as soon as Brian made his way up we continued on to Feversham. The trip back was down the Pretty River road.
When I got home I turned off the app and went inside to check out what information it had recorded. I was pleased to see that not only was my route mapped, it also gave me elevation gains and compared my time in certain sectors of the ride with the times of other riders who have the Strava app. Very cool.
Sadly when I see what my times are compared to the many other top riders doing these sectors the only conclusion to be made is I have an anchor dragging out behind my bike. On the bright side I am so far behind that any ambitions I had of being a half decent rider have gone out the window. Strangely I am not very bothered by that discovery.
I then went to the website and checked out my profile and I must say it is a great site. It gave profile graphs of the rides elevation and speed changes and will inform you when you have set personal bests plus lots of other interesting information. I would recommend it to anyone who rides. It's easy to use (I figured it out) and costs nothing unless you want to upgrade to get even more info. I give it 5 stars.
P.S. I had a big problem sweating in one of my eyes today (yes I'm a heavy sweater) so I have ordered a product called the Sweat Gutr and will report on it as soon as I get to test it.

No comments:

Post a Comment