Ice climbing at Eugenia Falls

Ice climbing at Eugenia Falls
Eugenia Falls

Sunday 8 July 2012

Another confession

Today I decided to be lazy so I stayed in, farted around the house doing some odd jobs and then my plan was to watch the Toronto Argonaut football game at 3 pm. The plan was working until I noticed that the made for TV movie "Anne (spelled with an e) of Green Gables" starring Megan Follows was on at 2. When I first saw this movie 25 years ago I instantly fell in love with the lead character played by Megan so believe it or not I watched 4 hours of Anne (with commercials) instead of the football game. How sad is that. I think (I hope) most people see me as a manly kind of guy but as I get older my definition of manly seems to be changing.
Manly to me now means being able to admit that Anne of Green Gables is one of my favourite movies. It's a great period piece about an orphaned 13 year old taken in by Mathew and Marilla who are aging brother and sister living on their property Green Gables. They were expecting to get a boy from the orphanage but ended up with Anne. Anne can't seem to stay out of trouble. She is a dreamer who talks continuously of her wants and desires. She is incapable of holding her temper or her tongue which may be why I am enamoured with the character. I have always had a thing for red heads as well (thought I might marry one many years ago) so Anne to me was the perfect woman.
I can see it now. There's Anne across the kitchen table from me, expressing her wants and desires, dreaming of a great future for the two of us, barely stopping to catch her breath before moving on to her next vision of the utopian life we had in front of us. Two weeks of that and I would have strangled her.

1 comment:

  1. Funny, that was why I left Chuck years ago in TO. I could visualise just leaning over and stabbing him one day. Not a vision you are supposed to have with someone who wants to marry you!

    And Anne of Green Gables is the best. I loved reading the book to the girls.

    ReplyDelete