Ice climbing at Eugenia Falls

Ice climbing at Eugenia Falls
Eugenia Falls

Wednesday 13 June 2012

New job, day one.

Today I started my new job as a zip line tour guide at the Scenic Caves. I have been coming up to the area for 22 years but this was my first time actually seeing what the Caves has to offer.
I arrived at 9:30 AM and after checking in I was sent downstairs to learn about the equipment. Some of the equipment I am familiar with due to my few forays rock climbing and some is very closely related to climbing gear I used at the Bell.
It wasn't long before our group came down and we started to fit everyone into the gear for the tour, myself included. I was only going as a participant and observer. After fitting we had a brief outline of the upcoming tour given by Michael and Skip, a friend and former owner of Sojourn in Collingwood.
We first made our way to the suspension bridge for the fantastic view and to learn a little history of the area. Directly below the bridge are red oak trees which got me thinking that they must be the first oak trees I have seen in quite a while. Where have they all gone? Next was the treetop walk which was fun and certainly gives one a new perspective of the forest. Then we did the first of two zip line runs, this one fairly short but if you have never done one before it was pretty neat. Next up was the  caves where there are some really interesting rock formations as well as some cool plant life such as ferns and some ancient white cedars. Lastly it was the final zip line which was much longer and dropped us off back at the start. It all took about 2 1/2 hours. I should also mention that the new double zip line is almost completed and it is a biggie, 2500 feet long and I think it's going to be a great ride. I am really looking forward to giving it a go.
There was only the one tour for today so my day was short but definitely fun and informative. The rest of the staff seem like a great bunch as well so I have little doubt this job will be a keeper. I have a lot to learn in the next few weeks but I am looking forward to it.

1 comment: