Ice climbing at Eugenia Falls

Ice climbing at Eugenia Falls
Eugenia Falls

Monday 13 August 2012

New helmet

Two days ago I made the trip over to Kamikaze bike shop to check out some helmets. I figured one of the reasons I was sweating into my eyes so much was that my inexpensive (cheap) MEC helmet did not have very big vents and therefore not enough cooling power.
My rule of thumb in the past when buying helmets has been "$40 helmet for a $40 head" Sadly over the years helmets have increased in price due to inflation and my head value has decreased due to loss of memory, loss of hair, loss of self esteem, loss of vision, loss of looks, loss of hearing......I could go on but you get the picture I'm sure.
Holly at Kamikaze helped me pick out a new snazzy looking helmet made by Giro. It was a real nice fit but as usual I looked like a doofus wearing it as I do with all helmets. I was a bit conflicted as well wearing it because I now had a helmet that was worth far more than my head. It was $109. My head is down to about $20 but the only $20 helmet there had flowers on it and was so small I looked like a gay rabbi with a balance problem. I had to get the Giro. I then came to the realization that there was no way I could buy this helmet. Why you ask? Simple. The helmet's model name was "Savant". Let's face it, there is no way I should ever be wearing a helmet called a Savant. Talk about being conflicted. The helmet would probably be picking my ride routes. Funny thing happened as well. Someone dropped a box of toothpicks on the floor in front of me and I had them counted in 6 seconds. Weird.
In the end I bought a Bontrager helmet with big vents that should help keep my head cooler. I'm not at all conflicted wearing this helmet either. It's a Bontrager Snail.

1 comment:

  1. So when a car goes by you, can you now say --- "Look at that escargot"

    ReplyDelete