Ice climbing at Eugenia Falls

Ice climbing at Eugenia Falls
Eugenia Falls

Thursday 17 November 2011

Road to recovery

It's been a while since I've posted, partly because there has been little in the way of sports in my life due to the nasty little abscess on my side which has been a going concern for almost three weeks now. My last post discussed the efficiency of the hospital, in particular how fast I was in and out of my little surgery. It seems now the reason it took so little time is that the surgeon did a half assed job. Instead of cutting it open and draining it he just stuck a needle into it and tried to drain it by sucking out the crud. I could feel him putting the needle at different angles to get as much out as possible but you don't have to be Einstein to figure out that it would be virtually impossible to remove all of the goop with this method. Suffice to say it didn't work.
Within two days my side was red and swollen again and by four days (two Mondays ago) I took things into my own hands. I had to take another day off work, sat for two hours with a hot water bottle on it and then drained close to a shot glass full of crud out of it. Tuesday I was back at work and every evening for the rest of the week I tried to drain it myself. By Friday it was plugging up and looked bad so on Saturday morning it was back to emerg for another visit.
This time the emerg doctor (Dr. Pointer) was excellent and completed the surgery in 15 minutes while causing virtually no pain. I am now much better other than the hole in my side which is being tended to by a home care nurse every second day. The nurse showed up yesterday for the first time and changed the dressing and then ordered supplies which were delivered to the house today. I think this might be overkill for a hole that is only a 1/2 inch in diameter and a 1/2 inch deep.


What I am not looking forward to is that the original surgeon who screwed up is the guy who is supposed to remove the cyst that is the root cause of all the trouble. Apparently he does not have the best of reputations. Damn.




                                                                                                                                                                          

1 comment:

  1. Oh joy! Loved the vivid detail about draining it yourself. Not squeamish me! Hope it starts healing now, and good luck with the crap doctor! I have to say that with all the slagging off people give the NHS here I have never had a bad experience at a hospital and the staff, no matter now overworked, have always been fabulous. How people can complain when they get free and fairly consistently good medical care is beyond me. They need to go and live in a country where it doesn't exist and then rethink their attitude!

    ReplyDelete